Opportunity Alabama (OPAL) – a nationally recognized nonprofit initiative dedicated to connecting investors with investable assets in Alabama’s Opportunity Zones – is hiring a Director of Portfolio Development. This position will have responsibility for growing, cultivating, and underwriting our pipeline of 300+ real estate and operating business investment opportunities across rural and urban Alabama.
Key responsibilities include:
- Pipeline Management – tracking, checking in with and maintaining action plans / next steps assignments for every one of the deals in our pipeline, and working with project sponsors (real estate developers and entrepreneurs) to ensure that projects continue to progress towards investment.
- Stakeholder Coordination – maintaining and expanding a vast national network of developers, entrepreneurs, and professional service providers (architects, accountants, economists, etc.) who are working on our dealflow or who could be engaged to start “scaling” new opportunities (see below).
- Deal Development/”Scaling” Opportunities – vetting (and producing) potential early stage project ideas for communities (like a new hotel or senior living facility), then walking the idea through the predevelopment cycle (proving demand, building pro forma, connecting the deal with a strong sponsor team, etc.).
- Data Profiles & Impact Assessments – leverage local and national data to create demand profiles for geographic areas and specific pipeline projects, then measure the potential impact of our deals against social need within our communities.
- Impact “Scaling” – work with our Director of Engagement & Impact to show deal sponsors how to improve and deepen their impact on low income places.
Critical Attributes – we’re looking for someone who:
- Is a problem solver who doesn’t wait to be “told what to do”
- Has the business sophistication to understand what drives real estate and operating business deals and how to keep them moving forward
- Can independently manage and grow relationships with many stakeholder groups
- Is highly organized, with strong time and project management skills
- Is comfortable with the fluid organizational structure of a young social enterprise
- Cares deeply about leaving the world a better place than they found it – and is willing to work hard to make that happen
- Bachelor’s degree, with 2+ years of work experience preferred (but not required)
- Quantitative background and experience with Excel modeling
- Experience with client interaction or engagement is preferred
If you are interested, please submit a (1) one to two page cover letter addressing your qualifications, (2) an updated resume, and (3) three to five references to [email protected] using the subject line “Director of Pipeline Development Job Application.” We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible during Q2 of 2020.